Orthodontics is a life changing decision. A straight smile can significantly effect the confidence and functionality of your smile. For this reason, there is a significant amount of research and decision making that patients go through in regards to which orthodontic treatment to go ahead with.
In most cases this is best to be determined and recommended by a dental professional or orthodontist. Some patients may prefer one method but are more or only suitable for the other. The most important characteristic between the two that individuals are unaware of is that removable braces are limited to treat minor alignment issues only. Traditional braces are more effective and faster for complex alignment cases due to the constant pressure and effective movement capabilities that traditional braces apply.
With either option it’s best to consult and take into consideration the recommendations made by a professional dentist.
Prior to proposing a treatment plan, dentists thoroughly examine your x-rays. Dentists are required to know as much information about the health of a patients tooth as possible. As a result, cosmetic dentists take into consideration the positioning and health of your teeth below the gum line. X-rays are the only method for dentists to examine the roots and jaw bone for corrective planning. This is also an essential reason to not avoid dental appointments for orthodontic treatment.
In recent years, there has been a growing trend towards DIY clear aligners ordered online. Although these methods are cost effective since they exclude dental consultations, their treatment plans do not take into consideration the root or current health of your teeth. Orthodontic treatment with poor oral health, can accidentally dislodge teeth incorrectly or permanently damage your teeth.
We take a look at the advantages and disadvantages of both traditional braces and invisalign braces to assist smile journey.
Benefits of Traditional Metal or Ceramic Braces?
- Metal Braces or Ceramic Braces are often more effective in complex teeth or bite misalignment cases.
- As a result of traditional braces providing more pressure upon the teeth and aren’t removable, they often provide faster and better results than Invisalign or general clear aligner braces.
- They are more effective in adjusting height and rotating teeth.
- Traditional braces help to drastically improve functionality. This can involve jaw/bite alignment, and not just straitening of teeth.
- Treatment time is faster.
Disadvantages of Traditional Braces
- Requires more time with maintenance, particularly with cleaning between the brackets using Piksters or other uniquely designed instruments such as Platypus flossers. As a result it’s essential to use Mouth Wash.
- They can be uncomfortable. The sharp and hard surfaces of traditional braces can sometimes cause cuts or abrasions to the gums and tongue.
- More dental consultations are required for tightening and correction. But, these consultations also allow the dentist to examine for any decay or ailments that could potentially effect your teeth. Brackets may also become loose requiring emergency dental consultations.
- Restrictions on particular hard or sticky edibles that may damage the braces.
Benefits of Invisalign or Clear Aligner Braces
- They are aesthetically more pleasing than traditional braces as they are discrete and less noticeable to the eye.
- Being made of thin plastic they are more comfortable to wear.
- They can be removed for important social events, sports, cleaning, eating, playing a musical instrument and other personal situations.
- Since they are removable they are easier to maintain and personal oral hygiene and health is also significantly easier. Brushing your teeth is similar to brushing prior to having invisible braces.
- Having the capability to remove invisible braces before eating or drinking helps to prevent any damage or staining.
- Fewer dental visits required since aligners are provided in interval recommendations with a proposed plan.
- Treatment planning software allows dentists and the patient to see expected outcomes prior to completion.
Disadvantages of Invisalign or Clear Aligners
- Subject to eligibility. Only patients with minimal misalignment issues are suitable for invisible braces.
- As a result of providing less pressure, the treatment time for clear aligners to provide expected outcomes can often take longer than traditional braces.
- Unable to close large gaps between teeth
- Limited in correcting overcrowded teeth
- Traditional Braces have the applied pressure to move teeth into correct position while Invisalign can only achieve limited movement and almost no movement in back teeth.
With either option, it’s important to consultant a dental professional. Certain cases may require you to strongly take into consideration the recommendations made by the dentists for the most effective and functional end results.
Once orthodontic treatment has completed dentists can further improve your smile with additional cosmetic methods such as using composite resin to correct shape, minor gaps or teeth whitening to further brighten your smile.
A journey to a bright healthy smile all begins with practicing good oral hygiene and regular contact with your nearest dentist. Feel fee to contact our team today for further information or to arrange an appointment.