Orthodontics is a life-changing decision. A straight smile can significantly affect the confidence and functionality of your smile. Deciding between Invisalign and Traditional Dental Braces is a significant cosmetic and functional investment.
Patients undergo compelling research and decision-making regarding which orthodontic treatment to choose. This article takes an in-depth look into factors that can influence the choice.
Receiving professional advice from an experienced orthodontic professional will provide helpful information in your smile-changing decision. Some patients may prefer one method but are more or only suitable for the other.
The most important characteristic between the two individuals are unaware of is that removable braces are limited to treating minor alignment issues only. Traditional braces are more effective and faster for complex alignment cases due to the constant pressure and effective movement capabilities that traditional braces apply.
With either option, it’s best to consult and consider the recommendations made by a professional dentist.
Before proposing a treatment plan, dentists thoroughly examine your X-rays. Dentists are required to know as much information about the health of a patient’s tooth as possible. As a result, cosmetic dentists consider the positioning and health of your teeth below the gum line. For corrective planning, X-rays are the only method for dentists to examine the roots and jaw bone.
Recently, there has been a growing trend toward DIY clear aligners ordered online. Although these methods are cost-effective since they exclude dental consultations, their treatment plans do not consider your teeth’ roots or current health.
Orthodontic treatment with poor oral health can accidentally dislodge teeth incorrectly or permanently damage your teeth.
We look at the advantages and disadvantages of Traditional and Invisalign Braces to assist the smile journey.
Benefits of Traditional Metal or Ceramic Braces
- Metal Braces or Ceramic Braces are often more effective in complex teeth or bite misalignment cases.
- As a result, traditional braces provide more pressure upon the teeth and aren’t removable. They often provide faster and better results than Invisalign or general clear aligner braces.
- They are more effective in adjusting the height and rotating teeth.
- Traditional braces help to improve functionality drastically. Conventional dental braces can involve jaw/bite alignment and not just straitening of teeth.
- Treatment time is faster.
Disadvantages of Traditional Braces
- Requires more time with maintenance, mainly cleaning between the brackets using Piksters or other uniquely designed instruments such as Platypus flossers. As a result, it’s essential to use Mouth Wash.
- They can be uncomfortable. Traditional braces’ sharp and hard surfaces can sometimes cause cuts or abrasions to the gums and tongue.
- More dental consultations are required for tightening and correction. But, these consultations also allow the dentist to examine for any decay or ailments that could affect your teeth. Brackets may also become loose, requiring emergency dental consultations.
- Restrictions on particular onerous or sticky edibles may damage the braces.
Benefits of Invisalign or Clear Aligner Braces
- They are aesthetically more pleasing than traditional braces as they are discrete and less noticeable to the eye.
- Being made of thin plastic, they are more comfortable to wear.
- They can be removed for important social events, sports, cleaning, eating, playing a musical instrument and other personal situations.
- Since they are removable, they are easier to maintain, and personal oral hygiene and health are also significantly more manageable. Brushing your teeth is similar to brushing before having invisible braces.
- Having the capability to remove invisible braces before eating or drinking helps prevent any damage or staining.
- Fewer dental visits are required since aligners are provided in interval recommendations with a proposed plan.
- Treatment planning software allows dentists and patients to see expected outcomes before completion.
Disadvantages of Invisalign or Clear Aligners
- Subject to eligibility. Only patients with minimal misalignment issues are suitable for invisible braces.
- As a result of providing less pressure, the treatment time for clear aligners to deliver expected outcomes can often take longer than traditional braces.
- Unable to close significant gaps between teeth
- Limited in correcting overcrowded teeth
- Traditional Braces have the applied pressure to move teeth into the correct position, while Invisalign can only achieve limited movement and almost no activity in the back teeth.
With either option, it’s essential to consult a dental professional. Certain cases may require you to strongly consider the recommendations made by the dentists for the most effective and functional results.
Dentists can further improve your smile once orthodontic treatment has been completed with additional cosmetic methods such as using composite resin to correct shape and minor gaps or teeth whitening to brighten your smile.
A bright, healthy smile begins with practising good oral hygiene and regular contact with your nearest dentist. Contact our team today for further information or arrange an appointment.
Our dental clinics vary as preferred providers with the following:
- Amazing Smiles Orthodontics Gold Coast Dentist: Bupa, Medibank, MBF, CBHS, HCF, TUH, Westfund.
- Amazing Smiles Logan Dentists: Bupa, Medibank, NIB, CBHS, HCF.
- Amazing Smiles Bray Park Dentist: NIB, CDBS, HCF, TUH, Australian Unity.
- Amazing Smiles Wynnum Dentist: CBHS, HCF, MBF, BUPA.
- Amazing Smiles Jimboomba Dentist: NIB, HCF, TUH, CBHS.