Cosmetic dental and restorative dental treatments are two different types of dental procedures that can improve the appearance and function of your teeth.
What is Cosmetic Dental?
Cosmetic and restorative dentistry are branches that focus on improving the appearance and function of teeth. However, they have different goals and methods.
Cosmetic dentistry primarily focuses on improving the appearance of teeth, gums, and bites. It involves procedures designed to enhance the aesthetic appearance of a person’s smile, such as teeth whitening, veneers, dental bonding, and gum contouring.
Cosmetic dentistry is typically elective and not medically necessary and is often sought out by individuals who wish to improve the appearance of their teeth for cosmetic reasons.
Common cosmetic dental procedures include:
- Teeth whitening: This involves using a special solution to lighten the colour of your teeth and remove stains and discolouration.
- Veneers: Composite veneers are thin layers of tooth-coloured composite resin that are applied to the front surface of the teeth to improve their appearance. They are custom-made and bonded directly to the teeth. They provide a natural-looking and durable solution to correct cosmetic dental issues, such as discolouration and chipped or misshapen teeth. Porcelain veneers, on the other hand, are thin shells made of ceramic material that are custom-fabricated in a dental laboratory. They are designed to match the colour and shape of the natural teeth and are then bonded to the front surface of the teeth. Porcelain veneers can effectively enhance the appearance of teeth by correcting imperfections like gaps, stains, chips, and misalignment while providing long-lasting and stain-resistant results.
- Dental bonding: Dental edge bonding involves applying a tooth-coloured resin material to the affected area and then shaping and polishing it to match the surrounding teeth.
- Orthodontics: Orthodontics is a branch of dentistry that focuses on diagnosing, preventing, and treating dental and facial irregularities. It involves using various appliances, such as braces, aligners, and retainers, to correct misaligned teeth and jaws. Orthodontic treatment aims to improve the teeth’ function and appearance, resulting in a healthier bite and a more aesthetically pleasing smile.
What is Restorative Dental?
On the other hand, restorative dentistry focuses on restoring the health and function of teeth that have been damaged, decayed, or lost. Restorative procedures are designed to repair or replace damaged or missing teeth, and they may include techniques such as fillings, crowns, bridges, dental implants, and dentures.
Restorative dentistry is often medically necessary, as it can help prevent further decay and damage to teeth and improve oral health.
While cosmetic and restorative dentistry has different goals, they can be complementary in many cases.
For example, a person may receive restorative treatment to repair damaged or missing teeth and then opt for cosmetic treatments to improve the appearance of their smile. Ultimately, both types of dentistry aim to improve the overall health, function, and appearance of a person’s teeth and gums.
Standard restorative dental procedures include:
- Dental implants are artificial tooth roots surgically placed into the jawbone to support a replacement tooth or bridge.
- Dental crowns are caps that fit over a damaged or weakened tooth to restore its shape, size, and strength.
- Dental bridges are artificial teeth anchored to adjacent teeth to replace one or more missing teeth.
- Dentures: These are removable appliances that can replace multiple missing teeth.
In many cases, cosmetic and restorative dental treatments can be combined to achieve optimal results. Your local dentist can help you determine the best treatments for your needs and goals.
Experience exceptional cosmetic and restorative dental care by reaching out to Amazing Smiles. Our highly skilled dentists have earned a well-respected reputation in the local community for delivering affordable and high-quality dentistry services. We understand dental treatments can be a financial investment, so we offer flexible payment plans to accommodate your needs.
As preferred providers, we can maximize the benefits of your private health insurance, ensuring you receive excellent coverage for your dental treatments at any of our clinics.
Don’t compromise on your oral health and the aesthetics of your smile.
Enquire at Amazing Smiles today and discover the difference we can make in your dental journey.